Identify and select a health problem in the US Health Care sector from the list below. Prepare a summary document using the required table format shown below. Note a maximum of five (5) students may select the same topic. In Week One, you need to sign up for a topic in the Assignment One Topic Selection folder. Unless the professor reaches out to you directly, your chosen topic is approved. The table should be single spaced and a maximum of two and a half (2.5) pages. Also include a cover page and a reference page in APA Format (these do not count toward the page limit). Except in the case of titles, use complete sentences, i.e. write using narrative format. No more than 15% of direct quotes or paraphrasing are permitted in the document. Review the bolded text in the Class Guidelines section of the syllabus above for formatting requirements. The topics are as follows:
- Tobacco dependency threatens the health of many Americans and it poses a preventable burden to the health care system.
- It is not unusual for patients in US hospitals to acquire preventable diseases, infections and conditions during their stay in the hospital.
- A growing pool of patients is unable to read and write in the English language. Language is a barrier to effective care delivery as well as patient compliance.
- Elderly and disabled patients with multiple medications are at risk of medication interactions and potential drug safety concerns.
- Veterans may suffer from service-related injuries. Both physical and mental health are concerns for the Veteran’s Administration (VA).
- Health care providers are scarce in certain low-income and rural under-served areas in the US, including Native American territories.
- Disadvantaged patients may seek care in emergency rooms because they have nowhere else to receive services.
- Disadvantaged children often do not have health insurance and do not receive the preventive care (such as vaccines and well-baby check-ups) that can help avoid long-term health problems.
Assignment #1 Title:
Provide a unique name for the health problem and the short name of the applicable federal policy or legislation meant to address the problem.
Describe and provide details about the health problem. Indicate in detail who is most impacted by this health problem. Include relevant statistics (incidence, mortality, morbidity, etc.).
This section must include how the problem impacts patients, health care providers and/or professionals, health organizations, healthcare insurers/payers and the government. Note the human and financial costs. Use in-text citations for all statistical references.
Healthy People 2020:
Summarize the health problem as recognized by Healthy People 2020’s goals for the nation. Note how the health problem you identified fits within the Healthy People 2020 framework – is it a goal, Leading Health Indicator, etc. Use in-text citations as needed.
Include a discussion on the which social determinants of health impacts the health issue you selected.
Does another governmental agency or public health organization describe the problem? If so, provide details on how this agency/organization describes the problem.
If the issue is not identified in Healthy People 2020, hypothesize about why this specific societal health problem might have been excluded from Healthy People 2020
Official Title and Citation of the Legislation:
Indicate the government’s response to the health problem you selected via online research. Select one federal policy or piece of federal legislation. In this section, include the title, bill number or citation from the statute.
As of the date of submission, what is the status of the federal policy or legislation in the health policy cycle and why do you believe it fits here? Reference a stage(s) of Figure 1, the US Policymaking Cycle, found in the Week 1 Course Introduction document.
Analysis of the Public Policy Response:
Describe the scope of the federal policy or legislation (describe specific provisions from the law and how they are meant to address the health issue) and the anticipated impact.
Policy and Social Determinants of Health
Does the policy address, facilitate or hinder access to the social determinants of health?
In your opinion, does the health policy or legislation adequately addresses the health problem you identified? Why or why not? Be specific.
Resources for Updates:
What policy resources would a health organization use to check for updates on this policy or legislation?