This Reflection Paper assignment asks you to discuss some of the key concepts from Richard Florida’s, Jay Gonzalez’s and Ben Green’s books. Exercise creativity and try to make connections between the various readings for week 1
1. What are the five key elements of the new urban crisis? (the answer is in the New Urban Crisis book, pages 6 – 8, see attached documents).
2. What is the significance of Piketty’s r > g to the new urban crisis, “clustering forces”, urban income inequality and how urban dwellers are affected? (the answer is in the New Urban Crisis book, pages 32 – 33, see attached documents)
3. Ben Green discusses “Tech goggles” and “solutionism” as factors in livable cities, in particular in relation to cars, traffic congestion and walkable streets. What are the pros and cons of these factors? ( I don’t have the book for this at the moment, so feel free to use other resources)
4. Considering Gonzalez’s “Trends and Issues” on Immigration, what is your opinion, pros and cons, of “sanctuary cities”? (the answer will come from the book Immigrations and American Cities on line at https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com Chapters 13,14,15,19)
5. What is your opinion about the Kelo case as it relates to “takings” issues, compensation and the US Constitution? (the answer will come from the book Eminent Domain and Economic Growth https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com Chapters 13,14,15,19)