Assignment Task 1: [50 Marks] Organization Based study
1. Choose an organization of your choice, preferably the organization where you are working (or) worked (or) familiar with in the GCC region. Understand the chosen organization’s objectives and understand the working procedures of the organizations related to the HR management. Give out clearly the chosen organization’s goals and objectives. (7 Marks)
2. State the Strategic activities pertaining to building employee commitment, flexibility and quality in the chosen organization and assess the strategic integration of these activities in achieving the organizational goals and objectives. (7 Marks)
3. What are the various external drivers which underpin the organizational strategy? Discuss the international economic drivers and their influence over the HRM strategies in your chosen organization. (7 Marks)
4. Assuming that your chosen organization is diversifying its operations to new locations (countries), carry out the workforce demand and supply forecast for a new location (of your choice). (7 Marks)
5. Analyze the importance of employees’ relations in the chosen organization, as well as identify the key elements of employment legislation in the organization; discuss their influence and impact on HRM decision making in the organization. (7 Marks)
6. Discuss the performance management system of the chosen organization and evaluate its role and significance in enhancing the overall performance of the chosen organization. (7 marks)
7. Select any two theories of management and leadership and reflect on the impact these have on your organizational strategy and devise a leadership strategy that you believe will support your organization’s direction. (8 marks)
1. Enron’s EVP strategy played an important role in the progress of the company in the 1990s by empowering employees. However problems at the beginning of this century resulted in Enron’s demise and closure? Conduct some research on the company and state the reasons which led to the closure of the company?
In spite of having some good HR strategies, why did the company fail and what in your view could they have done differently, as part of their overall company and HR strategy, to ensure that the company sustains itself? (15 marks)
2. If you were appointed as the CEO of Enron in similar context to turn the company around, what recruiting, talent management and retention HR strategies would you constitute to revive the company back to its original laurels?
Also discuss why it would be important to create a recruiting message for Enron that would be attractive, but that doesn’t “oversell” the company. (15 marks)
Assignment Task 3: [20 Marks]
American Versus Japanese Human Resource Management Practices:
Scenario: Mazda and Chrysler faced similar threat of bankruptcy in early 1980s. Mazda’s managers agreed to a 25% salary cut and a loss of bonuses for four years. Chrysler, in contrast, cut its blue-collar workforce by 28%, its white-collar staff by 7% and its senior executives pay by 2%.
1. Explain the starkly different approaches of Mazda and Chrysler in light of International HR strategies? [10 Marks]
2. Compare the cultural differences prevalent in America and Japan that may have influenced the decisions taken at Mazda and Chrysler. [10 Marks]